Monday, December 10, 2012

The Finish Line

At the beginning of this course a few months ago I had a dream to become a corporate pilot flying around taking vacations and playing golf on my trips. At the beginning I was also thinking about focusing a bit more on doing good with my skills and talents with flying. I believe I also made the comment that I just was going to go where ever life takes me. This is still pretty much true. Through other life experiences I have realized my amazement with the human body, as many of you know especially the heart, my big dream job would be to fly and transport organs, or help take patients to a better facility...really anything to help. It was on my mind when I started this semester and to this day is a daily re-occurring thought. I can't really say that anything in this class has changed my mind, but has definitely shined some light on topics I really wasn't that aware about, such as how far behind China is.

Not growing up in an aviation family has put me a bit behind the curve plus the fact that if there aren't cool pictures next to an article I generally don't read further than three sentences. Saying that, the fact that if I didn't do the research for the discussions my grade would have suffered really forced me to read at least five sentences with our without the picture. Out of the topics I would have to say that the most interesting was on the Regionals. It shined a bit of light on foreign land that has never really been explained to me. It must have been really apparent as to which topic I did not like the most. Call me whatever you feel like, but I have ZERO interest in the environment...need I say more?

I had a lot of fun in this class and I think it goes without saying that the best guest speaker we had were the two ladies from the TRACON. It's always been a side that is in a way mysterious to pilots, we don't understand their thought patterns and they don't understand ours. To know more about their training and how they ended up where they are now is really cool. To finally be shown how they train and whose job is more stressful helps me as a pilot on the other end to do what I can to help them as much as they help me.

As for the future I say what I said earlier...I'll go where ever it takes me. Currently I am instructing at Solo Aviation. There are many opportunities for me at Ann Arbor Airport since there are a lot of corporate companies coming in there as well as University of Michigan Health Care helicopters stored right next door. The plan is to take things one step at a time, and right now first on the list is graduation!!! Almost there :)

4 comments:

  1. Lots of opportunities in med flight...I wish a med flight guest speaker would have worked out. Congratulations on graduation and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you will get your dream job someday getting to fly around organs. Best of luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are those U of M Citations that fly in and out of Willow Run, that might be an option for med flight!

    ReplyDelete