Sunday, November 4, 2012

Retirement Age

Since the dawn of time the retiring age for pilots has been 60 years, until recently when a new bill was passed in 2007. Today the mandatory retiring age is 65, which could have happened for multiple reason. It could have been that people would feel safer with a well experienced pilot on board flying the aircraft, or that there could have been a shortage and in order to take care of the problem just increase retirement age by five years to buy us some more time. My personal favorite is that someone was paid off, but who really knows what happens behind closed doors.

How this effects everything five years from now is that at the age of 60 a pilot would have to retire. But now they have five more years to go, and it gives them five more years to share their stories and pass down their knowledge. For me personally I love that part, I enjoy listening to peoples stories and experiences. I learn so much from others, plus if I still have my medical at the age of 60 I will know that I have five more years of flying.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Jackie. If someone still has a current medical, why force them to quit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I love getting to hear stories and learn from fellow pilots and their unique experiences. Especially since rarely are any two situations alike in aviation.

    ReplyDelete