Sunday, September 9, 2012

Why Flying?

When I was younger, and still today, I was interested in space and flying but always figured you had to be the next Einstein in order to become a pilot. I went through several job ideas from want to be a nurse, to an architect, to even a truck driver. Then I started to search more into aviation and the different career paths and thought because of my gift in math that aerospace engineer would be a good choice. It wasn't until my junior year of high school that I was given the opportunity to take a class where we had to interview someone in the field that we wanted to go in. There weren't many options near by for aerospace engineer so my dad suggested that we go talk to a pilot and interview him for the class. Eventually the teacher gave me permission to do so and lucky for me it was one of the best experiences of my life.

We all selected a date to meet up and so I met him at some airport where he did some side flight instructing at. After asking all the question I needed he offered to take me up in the cessna they had in the hanger. My dad the guy I interviewed and myself all climbed in and departed for a discovery flight. After we got to an altitude he asked if I wanted to take over and fly a bit. Once he said "okay your controls" I looked out the window with full control of the aircraft and everything became brighter. It is actually quite silly, the sky had a mystic yellow glow to it and everything around me disappeared. Just me and the aircraft! We then went and flew over my house and the church that we all go to as well as did a touch and go at Toledo Express, then he asked if I like roller coasters and we experienced a couple G's. It was an experience I'll never forget, it was the day that I realized that I  needed to fly and have aviation in my life in order for me to feel complete.

When I started at Eastern Michigan I already had my Private Pilots License which is really giving me the boost to finish my education in three years. I am fortunate enough to have my CFI and am now starting the path towards CFII. I will never say that it was easy getting to where I am, I am super lucky to have found my passion and to be skilled at it. I really want to help this world with my gift and it wasn't until recently that I had my "2x4 to the head" moment. I am feeling called to help those who need to travel for reasons beyond them such as medical purposes. For the longest time I wanted to  fly corporate, but now I am willing to take what ever I can find. I have a few years ahead of me to figure this all out and see where life is taking me, but I am excited and open to what is in store for me!

1 comment: